A couple weeks ago we received a bag of fancy Morrel mushrooms from a family friend who had gone mushroom hunting. These cost $38 a pound!!! Seriously. So we were lucky to get some for free to try. My mom, dad, and I all love mushrooms, but we usually stick to crimini, button, or portabello.
Right away my dad wanted to make picatta! An old family favorite. We had chicken picatta a lot growing up (I try not to dwell on the meat I ate growing up). But it was actually my dads idea to try to do a meat free version with extra firm tofu and that definitely made me happy. I love when my family is excited to try meat free meals!
We served it up with lentils, and sautéed morels with zucchini and onion. It was so good! My dad even said he liked the tofu version better than the chicken 🙂 Veg for the win!
1 block extra firm organic tofu
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
dash sea salt
dash black pepper
1 tbsp EVOO
1 cup low sodium veggie broth
1 tbsp garlic
1/4 cup vegan white wine
juice from half a lemon (about 1-2 tbsp)
1 tbsp capers
other half a lemon thinly sliced
finely chopped parsely for topping
- Press tofu for about 10-15 minutes. I used a tofu press, but you can always do it with heavy books 🙂
- Place flour, salt, and pepper on a plate. slice tofu and coat in mixture on both sides.
- Heat 1 tbsp EVOO in pan on medium high and once hot add the tofu slices. Cook until golden on both sides. About 6 minutes total.
- Remove tofu from pan and add in wine to pan. Add minced garlic. And simmer for 30 seconds. Then add in broth, lemon juice, capers, and heat for 1 minute. Add tofu slices back into pan so they can soak in the flavor.
- Add lemon slices onto top of cooking tofu.
- Remove from pan and serve garnished with parsley.