My baking hobby started around sophomore year of high school. I loved the science of it. Varying ratios of basic ingredients could yield something absolutely tasty.
My life had gone a bit hectic around that time. My Gram had come to live with us because she was battling Alzheimer’s and dementia and I was sharing my room with her. Over the 6 months I shared a room with her (before the addition was built onto our house for her to live in) we became very close.
(My first picture with Gram)
My Gram isn’t your average grandmother. At 80 she was still running around, playing golf, and could debate with the best of them. She is very spirited and not afraid to speak her mind to anyone. Of course this spirited personality also made her battle with dementia harder. It was hard for her to accept her illness and so our family had many up and down days.
I turned to baking. Maybe it’s because it was something I could control, that I could ensure would turn out right. Muffins, cookies, breads…It was something I could make that would bring joy to people.
I’ve had baking fails and successes over the years, but my little hobby has become a passion. I find joy in experimenting with different ingredients and love sharing recipes with friends and family. Especially now that I’m vegan. I love showing people that their old favorites can be made without eggs, dairy, butter (cruelty-free 🙂 )
So without further ado:
Banana Nut Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins
(makes 12-14 depending on batter distribution)
- 3 very ripe small-medium bananas
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a muffin pan.
- Mash bananas and add in applesauce, flax, oil, coconut milk, and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and coconut sugar. Mix well.
- Toss in walnuts, coconut, and chocolate chips. Combine until mixed throughout and divide batter evenly amongst muffin pan.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes. Should be golden on the outside. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Perfect on the go food. Make sure to store in airtight container after removing from pan.
Hope you enjoy! If you do make them let me know how the recipe worked out for you.